March 9, 2018
Mrs. Manning is worried that her roof might not survive the upcoming rains. She is more worried about the hail storms than anything else. Her house is about 30 years old and repairs have been minimal.
Last year the roof almost gave in due to a fierce hailstorm. To avoid sleepless nights, she is considering a roof replacement before the rains set in.
According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), hail causes about $1 billion in damages every year. The typical months for hailstorms are May through September. In the US the top five states that are affected by hail storms every year are Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and Oklahoma. A report by Verisk Insurance Solutions in August 2014 showed that in 14 years (2000-2013) insurance companies have paid out $54 billion for damages caused by hailstorms.
What to do if you’ve been hit by hail ?
Regular inspection of roofs is recommended if you want to avoid large and expensive roof repairs. Damages due to hailstorms can be overwhelming. If you think hailstorms can only destroy your beautiful garden, you’re mistaken. Along with uprooted trees and branches strewn all over the place, your roof could also be extensively damaged.
Roof damage can be the cause of leaky ceilings, which can damage the interiors of your house and your precious belongings.
So how do you determine what damage has been done to your roof after one such hailstorm?
- The first step is to check your gutters after a hailstorm. Large dents or cracks in them is a sign that your gutter needs a thorough inspection.Large hailstorms can break the shingles (individual overlapping elements on your roof) on your roof.
- Damaged granules most often than not could get dislodged from the shingles and collect in your gutter downspouts.
- Older roofs are more susceptible to damage. Over time the base of the roof is exposed to the elements, which causes wear and tear of the roof.
- Schedule a roof inspection after a hailstorm, to assess if there’s any damage. Most roofing companies offer free roof inspection. Even if you are tempted to do the inspection yourself you must avoid it as it can be dangerous.
Calling your insurance company
Call your insurance company as soon as you realize that a hailstorm has damaged your roof. If you neglect the initial damage, it could turn out very expensive in the long run. Make sure that it is repaired and ready to weather further storms.
Many insurance companies refuse to pay if they feel that the documentation isn’t accurate. It’s important that you take pictures of the extent of damages to your roof. It will help add weight to your case when you file a claim.
After you’ve filed your claim, you’ll need a qualified contractor with good credentials to fix the damage.
You should ask for quotes from multiple contractors who offer this service in your area. The key is to make sure that the roofing contractor is qualified and insured. The roofing contractor should also be able to determine the extent of damage and if the amount that you could claim.
When the insurance company visits your home for inspection be sure to have a qualified contractor with all your evidence (the pictures that you clicked after the storm). This will help you to claim the right amount and also make sure the insurance company doesn’t lowball you.
If after inspection, the inspector decides that your roof doesn’t qualify for insurance then don’t feel disheartened. Your local roofer will be able to guide through various alternatives to get your roof repaired.
How to choose the best roofing company?
Determining which roofing company would be best for your roof repair job can be a bit of a challenge. You want to make sure that you get the best services at a reasonable cost. Here are a few pointers that will help you decide on the roofing company that’s best for you.
- Find out how long the roofing company has been in service. Look for a well-established roofing company that has been in service for a long time. If they didn’t provide great service, they wouldn’t be in business for long.
- Look for the companies reviews on social media platforms, Google MyBusiness or Yelp. You can decide after reading the experiences of other people who have used the services of the company.
- A trustworthy contractor will have all the required licenses and accreditations.
- A genuine contractor will not rush you through inspections and will be kind and courteous.
- Choose a contractor/company who specialize in hail claims
- A roofing contractor should also be able to explain which repairs are absolutely mandatory and why.
Contact Absolute Construction for a FREE inspection today!